DtR Security Newscast: reconsidering the game of security, new identity theft trends, and implications of self-driving cars
Listen to the latest episode of the Down the Rabbithole (DtR) Security Newscast for May 19th, 2014 — with Raf Los (@Wh1t3Rabbit) and Phillip Beyer (@pjbeyer) sitting in for James Jardine (@JardineSoftware). We record the DtR Newscast every other Monday to engage in spirited discussion about security topics in the news. More than a run-down of the news, it’s our unfiltered (but safe for work) discussion of top stories. We usually inject some passion and and some divergent thinking to fuel your week.
This week, we covered:
- News that US was about to charge China (specific folks) for cyber-spying – irony, it’s thick with this one. We debate the potential merits or lack thereof.
- Thinking about security broader than winning or losing. I wrote a piece about this for CSO (http://www.csoonline.com/article/2156104/security-leadership/thinking-about-security-beyond-winning-and-losing.html) and this was the opportunity to engage my colleagues in the discussion and share some insights on the thinking.
- The Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) information sharing initiative: in a rare moment of something-other-than-optimism, I call out why I don’t think this matters
- The scary new trend in identity theft and the conversations we really need to engage in; this one stuck with me — and is something I feel the need to explore more. What do you think?
- Why self-driving cars carry some heavy implications that require some thinking, discussion, and lead to some unanticipated changes.
Take a listen and let me/us know how we did on the segues this episode:
- DtR Security Newscast show notes (official) here: http://podcast.wh1t3rabbit.net/dtr-episoe-93-newscast-for-may-19th-2014
- Direct link to the MP3 here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/ftwr/DtR_Episode_93_-_NewsCast_for_May_19th_2014.mp3
Consider this the invitation for discussion. Keep it going here, on Twitter (I’m @catalyst) or the different “neighborhoods” in which I hangout (check out the bar on the upper right). If you have a topic you want us to discuss on the next DtR Security Newscast, drop us a line.